Upsets, Barn-Burners & History, A Glorious Night In Singapore!

PRINT  PRINT   Add to Facebook


UBO  -  Universal Boxing Organization™

On what can, without exaggeration, be described as a marathon boxing extravaganza, seven Universal Boxing Organization™ (UBO) title fights took place on one show in Singapore on Saturday (May 27), promoted by Ringstar Management.


The Roar Of Singapore II – The Pride Of Singapore, staged at the luxurious Resorts World Sentosa and broadcast to more than one hundred million potential viewers across Asia by Eleven Sports Network and live world-wide by free streaming, was indeed a historical event.

Not only was it by far the biggest boxing event in Singapore history, but undefeated Super Featherweight Muhamad Ridhwan also became the island republic´s first ever World Champion when he defeated tough Tanzanian Fadhili Majiha for the vacant UBO crown.

The reigning WBA Asia Champion fought as a man possessed, and constantly attacked his more experienced foe. Ridhwan landed solid shots to body and head to win the first two rounds, while the third was more even.


In round four the local hero floored Majiha, but the game African beat the referees count to face more fire from Ridhwan. Not long after Ridhwan landed a hard right hand which send Majiha crashing to the canvass, and it was all over.

A pro for only fifteen months, and nicknamed “The Chosen Wan”, Ridhwan improved his spotless record to 8-0 (6), while Majiha, still only 23 years old, has plenty of time to come again as he travels back to Dar Es Salaam at 20-9-4 (9).

In the co-main event, reigning UBO World Light Heavyweight Champion Ryan “The Real Deal” Ford from Canada showed that he is just that, the real deal, when he successfully defended his title against world-class Kiwi Robert Berridge.

It was a fight between two very skilled fighters, but at times it appeared a bit workmanlike as both tried to find the right openings. Ford was the aggressor, and landed the hardest shots, but Berridge was tricky and competitive at all times.

And accidental clash of heads in round six cut Berridge over the left eye, but he was allowed to continue. However, after seven rounds the doctor ruled that the injury was to severe and the fight was stopped and went to the scorecards. Judges scores were 67-66, 69-64 and 68-65.

Ford, who was an accomplished MMA fighter before turning to professional boxing, is now 12-0 (7). Berridge, losing his third shot at world glory, drops to 29-7-1 (21) in a career where he has operated at world level for a long time.

War of attrition! Rock ´em Sock ´em Robots! Brawl! The superlatives are plenty for what is a leading contender for the UBO Fight of the Year, as underdog Chase Haley from New Zealand dethroned UBO Inter-Continental and Asia-Pacific Light Heavyweight Champion “Miracle” Mirage Khan.


Hurt and knocked down in the opening round, Khan came back strong and gave as good as he got for the next few before flooring Haley in the fifth. They kept going back and fourth, hurting each other on several occasions and showing extreme heart and determination.

It was a very close encounter, and as they gave their all in the last round it was anybody’s guess who would be awarded the victory. But two of the judges scored it for Haley, 95-93 and a much too wide 97-91, while the third judge had it even at 94-94.

Haley improved his record to 4-1 (1), and Khan falls to 8-2 (4).

In a battle of undefeated Cruiserweight hopes, UBO Asia-Pacific titlist Benjamin Kelleher from New Zealand scored a fifth round technical knockout of Malayian Stephen Anak Jenggieng in what was his first title-defense.

Kelleher, now 4-0-2 (3), had plenty of work to do keeping his game opponent at bay, but did well to connect with uppercuts and hooks. In round five he hurt Anak with a hard right hand, and followed up with a second right hand that send Anak out of the ring and onto the judges table.

Still game and tough as they come, Anak made his way back into the ring in time to continue, but when Kelleher followed up with a barrage the referee jumped in and rightly stopped the fight at 2:59 of the round. Anak Jenggieng falls to 2-1 (1).

At Super Welterweight, former two-time WBC World Champion Sirimongkhon Iamthuam captured the vacant UBO Inter-Continental title when he, some would say controversially, outpointed tough Indonesian Larry Siwu to get on track for another world championship opportunity.

Iamthuam suffered a flash knock-down in the first round, but came back strong in the next few stanzas before starting to look puzzled by the speed and activity of Siwu. It was a good fight, and both had their periods of being on top.

After ten rounds, Iamthuam was awarded a split decision after the judges handed in scores of 95-94 and 96-92 for Iamthuam, and 95-94 for Siwu.

In the process, the highly skilled veteran from Thailand improved his outstanding record to 92-3 (57), having turned professional at only sixteen. Siwu, a former WBO Asia-Pacific and Indonesian national champion, is now 24-9 (20).

Also at Super Welterweight, world class Australian Tommy “The Titan” Browne outclassed another battle-tested Indonesian in Aleksander Bajawa to lift the vacant UBO International title with a technical knockout in the third round.

Former WBA and WBC world title-challenger Browne was really on top of his game, and fought very determined from the start. Bajawa had no answer for the aggressive Australian, and when he turned away in round three Browne attacked and landed a huge right hand that nearly send Bajawa out of the ring.

The referee immediately waved the fight off, and the new champion is now 34-6-2 (13). Bajawa sees his record dip to 41-4-4 (14).

22-year-old Malaysian Super-Prospect Keng Fai Hui won the vacant UBO Asia-Pacific Welterweight title in what was only his second professional fight, stopping fellow undefeated Indonesian Indra Anser (now 2-1) in four rounds.

It was a fast-paced and very exciting fire-fight from the start, and both boxers landed some big shots. Hui appeared the stronger man, but Anser had plenty of success using his longer range. In the fourth, the hard left hooks of Hui had closed the right eye of Answer who was stopped by the doctor.

Hui (2-0, 2 KOs) made his professional debut on February 17, also in Singapore, and could be on a fast-track to big things in the near future. If his career path is anything like his fighting-style, there will be no slowing down for this young crowd-pleaser.








NOTE: If you detect any issues with the legality of this site, problems are always unintentional and will be corrected with notification.